Cucumber salad with chile, mint, and basil
- 4 cukes, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, sliced very thin
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 seeded and minced Thai chiles
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts, toasted
Evenly spread cucumber slices on paper-towel lined baking sheet. Refrigerate while preparing dressing.
Bring vinegar to simmer in saucepan over medium-low heat;
cook until reduced to 2 tbsp, 4-6 minutes
Transfer vinegar to bowl and set aside to cool to room temp., about 10 minutes
Whisk in lime juice, fish sauce, chiles, oil, sugar and salt.
When almost ready to serve, add cucumbers, mint, and basil to dressing and toss to combine.
Let stand for 5 minutes; retoss, sprinkle with peanuts, and serve.