Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium potatoes, cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth or Swanson® Beef Stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from campbells.com
1.Season the beef with black pepper. Coat the beef with 2 tablespoons flour. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef in 2 batches and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.
2.Place the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into a 5-quart slow cooker. Top with the beef. Add 3 cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.
3.Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 11 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
4.Stir the remaining flour and broth in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the flour mixture and peas in the cooker. Increase the heat to HIGH. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.
•Time-Saving: Or you may cook this recipe on for HIGH 5 to 6 hours.