- 2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 5 separated eggs
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers
- 4 bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (see note)
- cream of tarter helps egg whites form peaks when beaten....
In large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, the flour, and salt. Add the evaporated milk, milk, egg yolks, and the whole egg, the whole egg and place over medium heat. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the custard is thick and coats a spoon, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter melts. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line the bottom of a 13-inch baking dish with the vanilla wafers. Slice the bananas and place over the vanilla wafers. pour the custard over the bananas. in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, add the remaining 5 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the custard in the baking dish, covering completely. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm, or allow to cool then cover and chill until ready to serve.