Southwest Shrimp Stew
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 sm red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sm green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 c milk
- 3/4 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. COOK the potato in water in a medium covered saucepan for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Add 1 cup of the broth. Mash with a fork, potato masher, or hand-held immersion blender until free of lumps.
2. HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the scallions and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
3. ADD corn, cumin seeds, salt, potato mixture, and remaining 1 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the milk and return to a simmer. Add the shrimp and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until opaque. Stir in the ground red pepper and cilantro.
NUTRITION (per serving) 140 cal