Hearty Bean Soup
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 lb dried navy beans, rinsed*
- 6 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 c water
- 1 med onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley + more for optional garnish
1. SOAK beans overnight in water that covers them by about 2 inches.
2. PLACE drained beans in large pot with broth, water, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently, partially covered, until beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
3. STIR tomato paste and salt into bean mixture. Return to a simmer and continue cooking, partially covered, until beans are cooked through, 30 to 45 minutes longer.
4. REMOVE and discard the bay leaf. Puree about half the bean mixture, using an immersion blender, regular blender, food processor, or potato masher. Stir pepper and parsley into soup and bring back to a simmer. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
NUTRITION (per serving) 213 cal