Homemade Wild Alaskan Lox
It's easy. Why not make it yourself?
- 2 lb fillet of wild Alaskan salmon, pin bones removed
- 2 tablespoon vodka
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 fresh bay leaves, chopped
- 2 bunch dill, stems and all, minced
- 3 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced tarragon
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
Preparation time 2880mins
Cooking time 2880mins
Place salmon, skin side down, on a large sheet of plastic wrap, and sprinkle it with the vodka. Mix together the salt and sugar, then sprinkle onto the flesh side of the salmon. Mix together the bay leaves, dill, shallots, pepper, caraway seeds, tarragon and green peppercorns. Cover the flesh side of the salmon with this mixture, making sure to coat it completely.
Wrap the fish well, and refrigerate for about 48 hours.
Unwrap the salmon, and rinse off the cure. Dry, then slice on the bias. Serve as you like.