This Homemade Eggnog is a holiday crowd-pleaser that can be served warm or chilled, and it can be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Serve this with your favorite holiday dessert and an assortment of carols being sung by a choir.
- 4large4 large egg, yolks and whites serparated
- 3/4cups3/4 cups natural cane granulated sugar
- 4cups4 cups whole milk
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from blog.kitchenaid.com
Add the egg yolks and sugar to the bowl of your KitchenAid® Stand Mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until the yolks are thick and pale yellow, and have doubled in volume, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small pot over a medium-low flame, until very hot, but not boiling, should be at 150°F when checked with an instant read thermometer.
With the KitchenAid® Stand Mixer set on low speed, slowly pour 1/2 cup of the milk into the bowl. Be sure to pour it in a slow, steady stream. This is called tempering the egg yolks, which uses the heat from the milk to carefully cook the yolks without them curdling.
Add the vanilla and nutmeg. Increase the speed to medium, and slowly pour in the remaining milk. Continue to beat until the mixture is very frothy, and forms a “head" on top like a pint of beer, this should take about 3 to 4 minutes.
Traditionally, eggnog is served cold, but it can be served warm. If you prefer it chilled, transfer it to a glass bottle, cover, and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Be sure to give it a shake before serving.
You'll also love
- Lima Bean and Dumpling Soup 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Blueberry Martini Jello Shots 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pecan Swirl Cheesecake 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Layered Peppermint Bark 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- Cranberry & White Chocolate Chip... 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Crab Cucumber Bites 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Chocolate-Nut Rugelach 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Mango, Pineapple, Banana, Orange... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)