Chicken Vesuvio is a classic Chicago dish. I've never been to Chicago, but two of my food blog friends made and shared this recipe. I'm always game to make a skillet dinner on a weeknight, and I adapted this recipe just slightly by using only bone-in chicken breasts. Chicken is seared and browned with red potatoes, then a lovely roasting pan sauce is made with plenty of fresh garlic, white wine and chicken stock and finished off in the oven. Frozen green peas are added, at the end. The chicken turns out moist and flavorful. My family enjoyed this flavorful meal.
Recipe slightly adapted from "Proud Italian Cook" and "Wives with Knives".
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (I used bone-in chicken breasts)
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- Dried Rosemary (optional, my adaption)
- Granulated garlic
- Potato wedges, about 4 russets or 6 reds
- 1 1/2 cups equal parts white wine and chicken broth
- 10-12 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen peas
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Season chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic.
Coat the bottom of a large, heavy skillet with olive oil and brown chicken pieces and potato wedges. Remove to a large roasting pan.
NOTE: (I set the chicken and potatoes aside, loosely wrapped with foil so that I could return it to the oven-proof skillet.)
Add garlic cloves to the skillet and cook until golden brown.
Deglaze pan with wine, then add chicken broth. Cook down for several minutes and pour over chicken and potatoes. Add peas the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Bake at 375F until chicken is cooked, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
NOTE: Since I used two bone-in chicken breasts, my roasting time was about 45 minutes. The chicken was thoroughly cooked and very moist.
NOTE: Because I used less than 3 pounds of chicken, we had lots of sauce-- this is a good thing. Next time, I think either crusty bread or even creamy polenta would soak up the flavorful pan sauce.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (673 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Body Flush and Detox Water 4.5/5 (500 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)