Braised Red Snapper Puttanesca
This recipe comes from Fine Cooking and is delicious.
- 4 5-oz. skinless red snapper fillets (about 3/4 inch thick)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 2 14-1/2-oz. cans petite-diced tomatoes
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise (about 3 oz.)
- 3 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp. red-wine vinegar
Adapted from finecooking.com
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 325°F. Season the snapper all over with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the sauce.
Heat 2 Tbs. of the olive oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over mediumlow heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until softened but not golden, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juice, anchovies, olives, 2 Tbs. of the basil, capers, and pepper flakes to the pan. Bring the sauce to a brisk simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are tender and the juices have reduced to a saucy consistency, about 8 minutes.
Nestle the snapper fillets into the sauce, spooning some on top to keep the fish moist. Drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Tightly cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and braise in the oven until the fish is almost cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness.
With a slotted spatula, transfer the snapper to 4 shallow serving bowls. If the sauce seems too thin, simmer over medium-high heat until thickened to your liking. Stir the remaining 1 Tbs. basil and the mint and vinegar into the sauce and spoon it over the fish.
You'll also love
- Pasta topped with Coconut Shrimp... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Macaroni Beef Tomato American... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp with Spicy Tomato Sauce... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs With Smoked Salmon,... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Brined Halibut with tomato... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Red Snapper in Creamy Bechamel... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)