Caramel Apple Trifle
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Additional apple pie spice, optional
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the apples, walnuts, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1/2 cup caramel topping and remaining apple pie spice. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
In a 3-1/2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, cream cheese mixture and apple mixture. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and drizzle with remaining caramel topping. Sprinkle with additional apple pie spice if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.