Chicken Parmigiana with Beefsteak Tomato Sauce
Weight Watchers 5 points
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 2 1/2 packet(s) uncooked instant oatmeal, 1 oz each (about 1 cup total)
- 2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound(s) Chicken, breast, raw, without skin & bone, four 4 oz pieces
- 1 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
- 1 large tomato(es), beefsteak, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup(s) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a shallow bowl, combine oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add chicken to oat mixture and turn to coat both sides, pressing oat mixture onto chicken with your hands. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat surface with cooking spray; bake 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine tomato sauce, tomato and remaining teaspoon of oregano. Set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes; remove from heat and stir in basil.
Remove chicken from oven (keep oven at 400ºF) and top each chicken breast with 1/4 cup of sauce and 1/4 cup of cheese. Return pan to oven and bake until cheese is melted and golden, about 7 to 10 minutes more. Yields 1 piece of chicken per serving.