made with tomato, peppers, and stale bread
this recipe needs a cast iron skillet or over-proof skillet
1 g fiber
- 12 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups cubed (1-inch)day-old bread, crusts removed
- 3 Tbsp EVOOil, divided
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick strips
- 1 each red and green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup fresh ricotta
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat eggs, heavy cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Add bread cubes; let soak until softened - about 15 minutes
2. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cook until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add peppers; cook stirring until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes. Add butter and remaining oil to skillet. Heat until foaming. Pour egg and bread mixture into pan; cook over medium heat without stirring.
3. Meanwhile, add ricotta by tablesponfuls, forming little pockets on top. Continue cooking until bottom of lightly browned, about 5 minutes. There should be a few bubbles around the edges.
4. Once bottom crust has formed, transfer skillet to preheated oven; cook until center is firm to the touch; about 15-20 minutes. to serve hot, let frittata stand at room temperature 15 minutes; to serve warm or at room temperature, let stand a little longer.