Meyer Lemon and Bing Cherry Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup agave nectar
- grated zest and juice of 6 Meyer lemons
- 24 fresh Bing cherries, pitted and diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup garbanzo and fava bean flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup homemade applesauce or store-bought, unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp pure lemon extract
- 2/3 cup hot water
- Vanilla frosting
1.) In a small saucepan, whisk together the agave nectar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the mixture boils. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer for 10 minutes; set aside.
2.) Place half of the cherries in a small mixing bowl and add 1/4 cup of the lemon-infused agave nectar and 1/2 tsp of the salt. Preheat the oven to 325°. Line two standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
3.) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, potato starch, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and remaining 1 1/2 tsp salt. Add the lemon-agave nectar mixture, oil, applesauce, vanilla and lemon extracts to the dry ingredients. Mix until completely combined. Add the hot water and stir batter until smooth.
4.) Scoop 1/4 batter into each prepared baking cup. Spoon 1 tsp prepared cherries onto the center of each cupcake, then top with another 1 Tbsp batter. Bake the cupcakes on the center rack for 24 minutes, rotating the tins 180° after 12 minutes. The finished cupcakes bounce back slightly when pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
5.) Let cupcakes stand in the tins for 20 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining chopped cherries into the frosting. With a frosting knife, liberally apply the cherry frosting to the top of the cooled cupcakes. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (231 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)