Strawberry Shortcakes with Meyer Lemon Cream
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed plus 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- Lemon Cream:
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, preferably from Meyer lemons
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large yolk
- pinch of salt
- 2 pints strawberries, quartered
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 41mins
1.) Make the BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk the AP and cake flours with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the cold butter until it is the size of small peas. Sitr in the cream until a shaggy dough forms.
2.) Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times, just until it comes together. Roll the dough into a 7-inch round, about 3/4" thick. Using a 2 3/4-inch or 3-inch biscuit cutter, stamp out 5 biscuits. Gently gather scraps and re-roll them; cut out 1 more round so you have a total of 6 biscuits.
3.) Transfer the biscuits onto a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until biscuits are golden. Let cool.
4.) Meanwhile, make the LEMON CREAM: Set a strainer over a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, combine half of the zest with the lemon juice, sugar, egg, egg yolk, salt and 1 Tbsp butter. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Immediately strain the curd into the bowl. Whisk in the remaining lemon zest and 2 Tbsp of butter. Press plastic wrap directly over the curd surface and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
5.) In a medium bowl, softly whip the cream. Fold the lemon curd into the whipped cream and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
6.) Prepare the STRAWBERRIES: In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.
7.) Split the biscuits in half and arrange the bottom halves on plates. Mound the lemon cream on the biscuits, top with strawberries and their juices and replace the tops. Serve right away.
***The biscuits can be made ahead of time and be stored in an airtight container overnight. Re-crisp them in a warm oven and let cool before serving. The lemon curd can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. The lemon cream can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours.
You'll also love
- Sausage and Swiss Chard Rigatoni 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Octopus Salad with Potatoes and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot/Pineapple Jam 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Triple Citrus Cheesecake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Peppery Coleslaw with Orange Chili... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blueberry Walnut Bars 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blueberry Muffins 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon Pepper Buttermilk Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)