Pasta Fazool Soup
- great northern beans, pinto beans, kidney beans- soak overnight ((3 oz each)
- parsley bunch- chopped
- top of 4 celery stalks chopped (save bottoms)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 lbs lean short ribs
- 6 cups water
- 2 T salt
- 1 T dried basil
- can of italian tomatoes, cut up
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 3 10 oz cans tomato puree and then fill the cans with water twice
- 1/4 lb spaghetti- broken into pieces
- parm cheese
1. soak beans overnight.
2. saute onions and garlic in frying pan.
3. in large soup pot bring to boil short ribs and 6 cups of water. scoop off "gook". then add: onion garlic mixture, drained beans, parsley-celery mixture, salt, basil, tomatoes, bay leaf, vinegar, pepper, tomato puree and cans of water and stir well.
4. bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
5. add carrot and part of the four bottoms of the celery and cook for another 1 1/2 hours.
6. after soup has cooked 3 hours remove meat from pot, discard bones, cut up meat and return to soup.
7.let soup cool and refrigerate.
8. following day bring soup to boil and toss in spaghetti. cook till tender (10-15 minutes). pour into bowls and top with parm cheese.