Creamy Stuffed Crepes with Orange Butter Syrup
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup liq egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extrack
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 grates of a whole nutmeg
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1/2 cup pancake syrup (calorie-free)
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the bowl, and whisk in the egg substitute, milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and canola oil. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta. the remaining vanilla, and 2 grates of nutmeg. Stir together until well blended. Set aside.
3. Cut off the top and bottom of the orange. Position the orange so that the flat bottom end is resting on the cutting board. using a sharp paring knife, cut the skin and white pith off in a downward curving motion. continue cutting around the orange so that it is no longer surrounded by the skin and pith. cut the orange crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
4. Transfer the orange slices to a small saucepan over low heat. Add the pancake syrup, and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes, and then turn off the heat and set aside.
5. Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, remove the pan from the stove just while you coat it with cooking spray. Pour a quarter of the batter into pan. Immediately begin to tilt the pan to spread teh batter so it evenly coats teh bottom of the pan. Cook about 30 sec on one side, and then flip the crepe and cook for another 20 sec or until crepe is golden brown. Transfer crepe to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Spread ricotta filling in each crepe, and then fold crepe into quarters.
7. Serve the crepes with the orange syrup. Scatter the mint on top of each crepe.