Citrus Cranberry Muffins
Calories 168; Calories from fat 50; Total fat 5.6g Sat fat 3.7g; Chol 0; Sodium 121mg; Total Carbs 26.5g; Fiber 2.7g; Sugars 1.2g; Protein 4.2g
- 3/4 cup agave syrup or vegan sugar
- 1 3/4 cups oat flour (about 2 cups rolled oats, processed in food processor or Vitamix)
- 12 ounces silken tofu (room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries (one standard bag)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange juice + 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- optional: a few dashes cayenne
- crumbly sparkle topping: pinch of orange zest, vegan white sugar, rolled oats and ground flax on top of each muffin
Adapted from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
1. In a large soup pot, add the twelve ounces of cranberries and agave syrup (or sugar). Boil until the cranberries just start to burst, then remove from heat. Using a fork, lightly mash about half the berries, leaving the other half whole and soft. Set aside.
2. In a blender.. Blend tofu with vanilla extract, orange juice, flax seeds, coconut oil and 1 cup of the warmed/smashed cranberries.
3. In a large mixing bowl, blend the oat flour, cinnamon, salt, orange zest, baking powder and optional cayenne.
4. Pour the tofu mixture into the dry bowl and fold until combined. Fold in the remaining cranberries.
5. Grease or line a muffin tin. Fill muffin cups. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of sugar, orange zest, oats and ground flax.
6. Bake muffins for ten minutes at 400 degrees, then another ten minutes at 350.
Cool before serving, the tofu will make the insides quite soft and tender fresh from the oven.
Store in the fridge or freezer and reheat to serve.
Delicious with "cinnamon sugar"-vegan butter, aka maple syrup whipped with cinnamon and vegan buttery spread or coconut oil.