Dark and spicy applesauce-based fruit cake studded with dates, nuts, raisins and cherries baked in gift-sized mini loaves. They make the perfect Christmas gift!
- 1 cup chunky-style applesauce
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) dates, chopped
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, coarsely chopped, reserve liquid
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whiskey*
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 135mins
Adapted from landolakes.com
Heat oven to 325°F.
Grease and flour 8 (5 3/4x3-inch) mini loaf pans; set aside.
Combine applesauce and baking soda in bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Combine flour, walnuts, dates, currants, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves in bowl. Add applesauce mixture, pineapple, cherries and reserved cherry liquid; mix well.
Combine butter, brown sugar and eggs in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add fruit mixture; continue beating until well mixed.
Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cakes from oven. Place onto cooling racks. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pan, if desired.
Drizzle each cake with 1 tablespoon whiskey while cakes are still warm. Cool completely.
Combine all glaze ingredients in 1-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes or until mixture is clear and slightly thickened. Brush glaze over cooled fruitcake. Let stand until glaze is set.
Wrap cakes in plastic food wrap, then foil. Store in cool place or refrigerate.
*Cook's note: You may substitute 1/2 cup orange or apple juice for the whiskey if desired.
You'll also love
- Hunter's Venison Stew 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Wasatch Mountain Chili 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Corn Pudding - Jiffy 3.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Chewy Oatmeal Date Raisin Cookies 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Muffin Pan Tuna Melts 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Cake 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- 5 Flavor Pound Cake 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Nanny's Fruitcake Cookies Recipe 4.1/5 (10 Votes)