Bacon Chive Cornbread
From Cooking with Paula Deen, Sept/Oct 2007
- 1 (1-pound) package bacon
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1.Preheat oven to 350°.
2.In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Crumble and set aside, reserving grease. Place skillet in oven to heat.
3.In a separate small skillet, cook onion over medium-high heat until onion begins to brown.
4.In a large bowl, combine cornmeal mix, flour, and sugar.
5.In a small bowl combine buttermilk and eggs. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in bacon, onion, cheese, chives, salt, and pepper; mix well. Pour batter over reserved bacon grease in preheated skillet. Return to oven, and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 1 cornbread