King Arthur Flours Original Cake-Pan Cake
Nutrition information per serving (60g): 188 calories, 2g protein, 28g carbohydrates, 7g fat, 1g fiber, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 17g sugars, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 2mg calcium.
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1cup1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 1/4cup1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) cocoa
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) vinegar
- 1/3cup1/3 cup (2 5/8 ounces) vegetable oil
- 1cup1 cup (8 ounces) cold water (original recipe), coffee (next inspiration), milk (later inspiration), or 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup rum (latest inspiration)
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Measure all the dry ingredients into an 8" or 9" round or square cake pan; if you use an 8" pan, make sure it's at least 2" deep. Blend the ingredients together thoroughly with a fork or whisk and scoop out three holes, or indentations.
3. Pour the vanilla into the first hole, the vinegar into the second, and the vegetable oil into the third.
4. Take the cup of cold liquid (water, coffee, milk, etc.) and pour it directly over everything in the pan. Note: If you've used espresso powder, adding coffee will make this a mocha cake. Stir all the ingredients together with your fork until they are well blended.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve right from the pan; warm from the oven, this Cake-Pan Cake is wonderful with a big glass of milk (skim, of course!)
6. Once cool, frost with this simple chocolate frosting, if desired: Heat 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips with 1/2 cup half & half until the chips melt. Stir until smooth, and pour/spread over the cake.
Tip: Want to make this cake using self-rising flour? Omit the salt, baking soda, and vinegar, and substitute 1 1/3 cups self-rising flour for the all-purpose flour.
This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet Newsletter, Vol. II, No. 5, March 1991 issue.