Spiced Apple Breakfast Casserole
7 Plus Points
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 12 slice(s) reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, cubed
- 5 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) unpacked light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 cup(s) fat free egg substitute
- 1/2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8- X 10-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet; toast in oven for 10 minutes.
While bread toasts, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add apples and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; cook on high, stirring frequently, until apple slices are softened and starting to brown.
In a large bowl, whisk together egg substitute, milk, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt and nutmeg. Add toasted bread cubes and sautéed apples to egg mixture; stir well to coat and then pour into prepared casserole dish.
Bake casserole, covered with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook until eggs are set and top begins to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes more. Slice into 8 pieces and serve drizzled with syrup. Yields 1 piece and 1 1/2 teaspoons syrup per serving.