Deep Fried Octopus And Cheese With Golden Batter
- GOLDEN BATTER:
- 2 boiled octopus tentacles
- 8 perilla leaves (oba or aojiso)
- 1/8 pound processed cheese
- 3/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt to taste
- Kelp-flavored fish stock (nidashijiru) as needed
- 1/3 ounce dried buckwheat noodles
- 13 sheets dried laver (asakusa-nori) 1 1/2" square
Slice octopus diagonally.
Wash perilla leaves, cut lengthwise into halves.
Cut cheese into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then each slice into three pieces.
Place cheese on leaves, roll up and sandwich with two octopus pieces.
Mix all ingredients for golden batter lightly. Dip cheese-leaves-octopus pieces into batter and deep-fry until golden.
Boil buckwheat noodles for a few minutes. Noodles should not be soft, but still hard in the center. Cut into 1-inch lengths. Cut dried laver into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place noodles on dried laver, roll up and deep-fry.
Arrange fried octopus on serving plate and sprinkle with garnishes.
This recipe yields 4 servings.