Chicken Pot Pie with Bread Topping
- For the topping:
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 cups chopped roasted chicken
- 2 cups carrots, cut on an angle, blanched
- One 10-ounce package frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces and blanched, optional
- 12 Sister Schubert's Parker House Style Rolls, sliced into three sections
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist a baking dish with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium high heat; add mushrooms and sauté until they are golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
In same skillet, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter; add onions and cook until they are soft and golden brown. Add flour and stir for 1 minute; pour in chicken broth and heavy cream and whisk until sauce is smooth. Mix in mustard, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley. Pour sauce into large mixing bowl.
Fold in chicken, carrots, peas, beans and mushrooms into sauce. Pour all into prepared baking dish.
Arrange sliced rolls on top of filling and brush with melted butter.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is bubbling. If topping starts to brown too much, cover loosely with aluminum foil.