Baked Penne with Sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings discarded
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 4 large garliccloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound penne
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium high heat until hot, then brown sausage in 2 batches, stirring and breaking up into bite-size pieces, until no longer pink. Transfer with a slotted spoon as browned to a wide 6- to 8-quart heavy pot.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet, then cook onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and boil, stirring up brown bits, then transfer to pot. Add tomatoes, olives, bay leaf, 1 cup water, salt, and pepper, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375F with rack in middle.
Cook penne in a pasta pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until not quite al dente (pasta should still be firm). Drain pasta, then combine well with sauce and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Transfer to a 4-quart (15- by 10- by 2-inch) baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake pasta until cheese starts to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Make ahead: Sauce can be made 3 days ahead and kept chilled once cooled. Pasta dish can be assembled 1 day ahead and kept chilled once cooled. Reheat, uncovered, in a 375F oven, about 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Roasted Banana Pudding 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cold Sesame Noodles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Dumplings with Tofu & Chives... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Red Wine Turkey Meatloaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage Gravy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- chickpea and pasta soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Healthy Macaroni and Cheese 0/5 (0 Votes)