- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (80% lean)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons bottled white horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (about 1/2 ounce each)
- 4 English muffins, split horizontally
- Desired toppings (leaf lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced onion, sliced pickles, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish)
1.Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, place beef, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix very gently with a fork to combine, being careful not to overwork meat (which would make burgers dense).
2.Gently form meat into 4 equal-size patties, 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. With thumb, make a 1/2-inch-deep indentation in the center of each patty (this helps keep burgers flat during grilling).
3.Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates. Season burgers with salt and pepper. Grill 4 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare, placing cheese on second side for last 3 to 4 minutes of cooking.
4.Serve on English muffins