- 4 slices crusty Italian bread 1/2” (1 cm) thick
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 8 oz (227 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated Gouda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme (optional)
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
With the rack in middle position, preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a large wire rack. Place rack on a baking sheet and set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp along with shallots. Add butter and mushrooms and sauté over high heat until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Season.
Deglaze with lemon juice. Adjust seasoning. Spread mushroom mixture on the bread slices. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 10 minutes. If needed, finish browning under the broiler.