Italian-Inspired Vegetable Soup
Weight Watchers 1 Points Plus Value
Prep time: 30 min Cook time: 20 min
Other time: 0 min Serves: 12
- 2 cup(s) escarole, chopped
- 2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 cup(s) fresh spinach, baby leaves
- 2 small uncooked zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1 medium uncooked fennel bulb(s), thinly sliced
- 6 cup(s) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, leaves
Adapted from weightwatchers.com
Put escarole, garlic, onions, spinach, zucchini, red pepper, fennel, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, thyme and oregano into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, partly covered, for about 10 minutes.
Stir in salt, black pepper, parsley and basil. Serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Toss in white beans or chopped shrimp for a heartier soup; sprinkle on Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.* *Could affect Points Plus values.