Melting Moment Cookie, but GF!
Drop cookies or even cut out cookies if you choose.
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) all purpose gluten free flour (I used Better Batter)
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1/3 cup (48 g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup (77 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 12 tablespoons (168 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg white (25 g), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lukewarm water by the half-teaspoonful, as necessary
- 4 ounces miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
Adapted from glutenfreeonashoestring.com
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
Make the dough. In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and confectioners’ sugar, and whisk to combine well. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter, egg white, and vanilla, and mix to combine. The dough will be thick and smooth. Add water by the half-teaspoonful and mix it in as necessary to bring the dough together. If you’d like to make any cut-out cookies, set some of the plain dough aside. Add the (optional) chocolate chips and mix the dough until the chips are evenly spaced throughout.
For drop cookies, scoop the dough by the heaping tablespoon (an overfull #70 ice cream scoop is ideal here, but two spoons work well, too) onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1 1/2-inches between pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a round between the palms of your hands, and press down slightly into a thick disk. With the moistened tines of a fork, press down on the top of each piece of dough until the tines leave an impression about 1/4-inch deep.
For cutout cookies, place the plain dough between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper and roll out the dough about 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut out shapes using a floured cookie cutter. Transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1 1/2 inches apart.
Place the baking sheet in the center of the preheated oven and bake until lightly golden brown on the edges and firm to the touch (about 12 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet before serving. These cookies freeze very well.