Maryland Blue Crab Chowder
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 8 medium Maryland blue crabs, chopped
- 1 cup Maui sweet onion, peeled, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme
- 1 star anise
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 cup Sauvignon Blanc wine
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Garnish (recipe follows)
- 1 cup jumbo lump Maryland blue crab meat, shelled
- 8 chervil sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 sweet corn ears, shaved
- 1 cup leeks, white part only, washed, pat dry, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black peper
1. Pour oil in a large stockpot over high heat; add the crabs and brown for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Add onions, celery, garlic, lemon, thyme, star anise, paprika, saffron, maple syrup and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add wine and bring to boil.
4. Pour in tomato juice and vegetable stock; bring back to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
6. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing on solids to attain maximum extraction and flavor.
7. Place soup in blender, process to smooth and set aside.
8. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat.
9. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute until mixture is foamy.
10. Whisk in crab broth.
11. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, whisking mixture occasionally.
12. Whisk in heavy cream and bring back to a simmer.
13. Season with sea salt and pepper.
1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add corn and leeks and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
3. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
Pour the crab soup into a hot soup plate. Spoon corn and leek mixture in center of plate. Garnish with lump crabmeat and chervil sprigs.