Greens With Poblano-Buttermilk Dressing and Cornbread Croutons
- For dressing:
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For croutons:
- 1/2 loaf green-chile cornbread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (see recipe)
- For salad:
- 8 to 10 cups mixed greens (arugula, red leaf, mesclun, romaine, frisee, endive, etc.)
- 1 cup diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
For the dressing, place all the dressing ingredients into a blender and puree. Set aside.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cornbread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss together the greens and diced bell pepper. Toss with just enough dressing to coat the greens. Divide evenly among 6 plates; arrange the avocado slices and cornbread croutons on top. Serve immediately.