- For the Almond Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- For the Filling:
- 5 cups strawberries, hulled and stems removed, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from delightglutenfree.com
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. To make the crust, combine almond flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add melted coconut oil and gently stir together until fully mixed. Firmly press mixture into a 9 inch pie pan.
2. Place aluminum foil over the pie crust, ensuring that edges are covered. Place pie weights or dried beans in the center and spread around evenly. Place pie pan on a baking sheet and bake with foil on, until lightly set and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove pie weights and uncover and bake for another 10 minutes. Cool completely.
3. To make the strawberry filling, in a saucepan, combine 3 cups of hulled and de-stemmed strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice. Gently mash with a potato masher until no large chunks of strawberry remain. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
4. Meanwhile, slice the remaining 2 cups of strawberries in half or fourth or fourths and set aside in a large bowl.
5. Pour strawberry mixture over sliced strawberries and gently stir together. Pour filling into cooled pie crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm before serving.