Chicken and Dumplings
Friends used to rave everytime I made this recipe. It’s comfort food, and I especially enjoy making it on rainy days. Use a whole cooked store bought chicken
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cans fat free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1 can condensed reduced fat cream mushroom soup
- 4 lbs chicken pieces cut up
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 cups bisquick
- 2/3 cups fat free milk
- chopped parsley
1. Heat Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Stir in sherry and the next four ingredients and bring to boil. Add chicken pieces and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 35 minutes until chicken is tender.
2. Remove chicken from cooking liquid. Put chicken in bowl and chill 15 minutes.
3. Put chicken in pan, stir in peas. Combine water and cornstarch in small bowl and stir with whisk. Add to pan and stir well.
To prepare dumplings, combine baking mix and mil. Drop dough into chicken mixture to form 16 dumplings. Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. COver and cook 10 minutes until dumplings are done. Garnish with parsley.