Spinach and Cheese Pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green onions
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk, small-curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 sheets filo dough
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Preheat oven to 400F
Heat olive oil in 2-quart saucepan. Add onions and saute' until tender, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook 1 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Stir lemon rind, parsley and feta cheese into spinach mixture. Combine cottage cheese, Romano cheese and egg in a small bowl. Stir until well blended. Add to spinach mixture. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir well.
Scrape filling into a 9-inch pie plate or 8-inch square baking dish. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Brush one sheet of filo dough with melted butter, keeping remaining sheets covered with a cloth. Crumple filo sheet into a nest shape and place on top of filo. Repeat with remaining filo sheets to cover filling.
Bake about 10 minutes, until filo topping is browned.