Cream of Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 3 cups (750 ml) coarsely-chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) condensed chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Buttered Croutons
- Chopped parsley
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté onion until tender. Stir in cauliflower and condensed chicken broth. Bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 12 to 15 min or until cauliflower is tender.
Smoothly combine flour and milk. Add to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into 4 soup bowls; sprinkle with Buttered Croutons and parsley.
Buttered Croutons: Toss 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) bread cubes in 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter. Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven 7 to 8 min or until golden brown.