Linguine with Butternut Squash, Spinach, and Mussels
Linguine with mussels gets fit for fall with roasted butternut squash and wilted spinach. Briny and sweet mussels complement the richness of the squash.
- 4 cups 3/4-inch cubes peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional for drizzling
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 1/2 cup bottled clam juice
- 8 ounces linguine
- 2 5-ounce packages fresh baby spinach leaves
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from epicurious.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place squash cubes on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then pour 1 tablespoon olive oil over and toss to coat. Roast 15 minutes. Turn squash over; continue roasting until tender, about 20 minutes longer. DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
Bring wine, shallots, garlic, and crushed red pepper to boil in large skillet. Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels open, 2 to 3 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open). Transfer mussels to large bowl. Cover liquid in skillet and set aside. Remove mussels from shells; discard shells. Pour clam juice and any accumulated juices from mussels into liquid in skillet. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 2 tablespoons oil. Cover; set aside.
Meanwhile, cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
Using tongs, transfer pasta to skillet with juices, reserving pasta cooking liquid in pot. Add mussels and squash to skillet; toss. Add spinach to pasta cooking liquid; let stand 1 minute to wilt. Drain spinach.
Divide wilted spinach among 4 wide shallow bowls. Divide linguine, squash, mussels, and sauce among bowls. Drizzle with oil and serve.
Per serving: Calories 505, Total fat 14g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 31mg, Sodium 765mg, Carbohydrate 67g, Fiber 6g, Protein 28g
You'll also love
- Shrimp Scampi Ravioli with Lemon... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Beef Cube Steak (Country fried... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal & Lemon Saltimbocca 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie Granola 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Salmon Burgers with Dill 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Acorn Squash Soup Vitamix 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Pasta with Scallops and Roasted... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)