Apple Turnovers using Phyllo Dough
- Apple filling Ingredients:
- 4-5 medium apples(I usually use granny smith),diced, quite small
- 1-2 TBS butter (you can use a bit more or you can omit altogether)
- 2 tsp lemon/orange peel
- 1/4 cup -1/3 cup sugar (depending how tart your apples are...)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp - 1 tsp cinnamon, or to taste
- You will also need:
- 1/2 pack of phyllo sheets
- 1/2 stick of butter (more or less), melted
- powdered sugar for dusting
Adapted from homecookinginmontana.blogspot.com
Peel and dice apples.
In a medium saucepan, add apples,sugar,vanilla,orange/lemon peel, cinnamon and cornstarch.
Heat on med-low stirring every so often .
Cook for about 5 minutes or until the apple mixture thickens.
Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
Remove phyllo dough from package and have a damp towel ready so you can keep the phyllo sheets covered as you work.They tend to dry out very quickly.
Using a pastry brush, brush one phyllo sheet.
Fold in half(vertical)and brush again. Fold again to form a long strip.
Brush again with butter.
On one edge, add about 1 1/2 TBS of apple filling.
Roll in the form of a triangle...just like you would fold a flag.
Brush the outside of the triangle phyllo turnover with extra butter.
Place apple turnovers onto a cookie sheet... I like to use parchment paper.
Bake in preheated oven at 375 deg F...for 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
Check after about 10 minutes so that they won't burn. Oven temps vary.
Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.