Fried Mozzarella Sticks
To save time, the herb-coated mozzarella sticks can be covered and refrigerated until ready to cook.
- 1 package (16 ounces) Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup PREGO Regular Spaghetti Sauce or PREGO Tomato and Basil Spaghetti Sauce
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Cut cheese into 13/4- by 1- by 1/2-inch sticks (32 sticks). On waxed paper, combine flour and pepper. In small bowl, beat together eggs and water. Dip cheese sticks in flour mixture, coating well; then dip in egg mixture and roll in bread crumbs.
2. In 10-inch skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil to 375°F. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat spaghetti sauce until hot.
3. Fry cheese sticks in single layer, a few at a time, until golden brown and just until cheese begins to melt, turning once. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Repeat with remaining cheese sticks. Serve cheese sticks with hot spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Makes 32 appetizers or 8 appetizer servings