Jose Andres gazpacho (no bread)
No bread and no onion. Seems to be preferred over the Martha version, but both are good.
- 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes (about 10 plum tomatoes)
- 8 ounces cucumber (about 1 cucumber)
- 3 ounces green pepper (about 1/2 bell pepper)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3/4 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
1. Cut out and discard the core at the top of the tomatoes, and chop the tomatoes roughly into quarters. Place in the blender.
2. Peel the cucumber and cut into chunks. Add to the tomatoes in the blender. Cut the pepper in half, and remove the core along with the seeds. Again, chop into large pieces and place in the blender.
3. Add the garlic and sherry vinegar to the vegetables and blend until the mixture becomes a thick liquid. At this point the red tomatoes will turn a wonderful pink color. Taste for acidity. This will vary with the sweetness of the tomatoes. If it’s not balanced enough, add a little more vinegar. Add the olive oil and season with salt to taste. Re-blend, then pour the gazpacho through a strainer into a pitcher. Place in the fridge to cool for at least half an hour.