Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- 12 ounces dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
In a large saucepan, cover the beans with cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and let stand off the heat for 1 hour. Drain the beans. Return them to the pot and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes; season generously with salt during the last 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer the quinoa over low heat until the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a plate and let cool. In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice and chipotle. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking until blended. Add the black beans, quinoa, scallions, red onion, yellow pepper and cilantro. Season with salt, toss to combine and serve.
Make Ahead: The black bean–and–quinoa salad can be refrigerated overnight.