One of my favorite vegetables, leeks, are available all year long but seem to be at their tender best in the spring and summer. When cooked, they have a soft onion-garlic quality that emhances other vegetables. I think they're the secret ingredient to making deep-flavored soups.
**This soup can be sotred covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or frozen for a month. Stir in cream just before serving, if using.
- Olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, quartered, cored and chopped
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, ie Sauvignon Blanc
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- NOT FINISHED