Beef En Croute With Duxelles
- Chasseur Sauce:
- 1 - 2 kg (4 pound) beef tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 - 227 g (8 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Brandy or Port wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh parsley
- Dash each, salt, pepper
- 2 - 284 g (10 ounce) packages Frozen Patty Shells, thawed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 - 113 g (4 ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp. chopped shallots
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves, crushed
- 1/4 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
- 1 can beef gravy
- 1/2 cup tomoato sauce
- 2 tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
1. Roast tenderloin at 220 °C (450 ° F) 30 min; cool to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender and liquid has evaporated; stir in Brandy, parsley, salt and pepper; simmer 1 min; cool to room temperature.
3. Preheat oven to 210 °C (425° F).
4. Arrange 12 Patty Shells in a rectangle 3 wide by 4 long with sides touching; roll out into a large pastry rectangle to fit around tenderloin; trim pastry, save trimmings for decoration; brush pastry with egg white; spread mushroom mixture on pastry to within 5 cm (2 inches) of edges.
5. Place tenderloin in centre of pastry; fold pastry around tenderloin; sealing edges with egg white; place tenderloin, seam-side down on jelly-roll pan; decorate top of pastry with trimmings.
6. Bake 20 min. or until pastry is golden brown; let stand 10 min. before slicing and serve with Chasseur Sauce.
Tip: For a glossy pastry, brush crust with 1 egg white beaten with 15 mL 1 tablespoon milk before baking.
1. Trim woody portions of mushroom stems and discard; chop mushrooms.
2. Saute mushrooms with next three ingredients until tender.
3. Stir in wine and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated; add gravy and tomato sauce and heat through.
4. Stir in parsley just before serving and serve with Beef En Croute with Duxelles. Makes 450 mL (1 3/4 cups).