Easy Rice Bake Casserole
From an episode of "Down Home with the Neelys", I think I will try this with brown rice.
- 2 Tbs butter, plus more for the dish
- 1 small onion, minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, plus extra for top
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tsp chopped basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a large casserole dish.
In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions with 2 tablespoons of butter and cayenne until translucent. Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs. Add the cheese, rice parsley, thyme, basil and spinach mixture and combine well. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into prepared casserole dish and top with extra shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes and serve piping hot.