Fancy Fish Sticks
YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: about 3 fish sticks, 2 tablespoons sauce, and 1 lime wedge)
HANDS-ON: 25 MINUTES
TOTAL: 40 MINUTES
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard (such as Zatarain's)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lager-style beer
- 1 1/2 tablespoons creamy mustard blend (such as Dijonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) 1/3 cup unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 pound halibut or other lean white fish fillets (such as cod or pollack), cut into 4 x 1-inch pieces (about 12 pieces)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 4 lime wedges
1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cover and chill.
2. Preheat oven to 425°.
3. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray, and spread evenly with oil; heat in oven 12 minutes.
4. Combine flour and black pepper in a shallow dish. Combine 1/2 cup beer, mustard blend, lime juice, egg whites, and egg in a shallow dish; stir with a whisk until foamy. Place panko, pumpkinseeds, cumin, and chipotle pepper in a food processor; pulse 20 times or until coarse crumbs form. Place panko mixture in a shallow dish.
5. Sprinkle fish evenly with salt. Working with one piece at a time, dredge fish in flour mixture. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in panko mixture until completely covered.
6. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven; place fish on pan, and return to oven. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork, turning once. Serve immediately with sauce and lime wedges.