CHINESE EGGPLANT WITH GROUND PORK
- 1/2 lb Chinese eggplant, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 to 4 ounces ground pork
- 2 big cloves of garlic, smashed flat with the side of your knife blade, skin removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp wheat-free Tamari
- 5 Tbsp water
Cooking time 30mins
1. Steam eggplant pieces until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Watch and make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
4. Add ground pork. Use a spatula to break up the meat a bit; sprinkle salt on top.
5. When the meat is browned on both sides, add eggplant pieces and gently mix them with the meat.
6. Add soy sauce and water, bring to a boil.
7. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Watch and make sure the sauce doesn't dry up.
8. Serve over rice.
Note: My kids like their eggplants soft, that's why I steam them first. You can skip this step and simmer longer to achieve your desired softness. Traditionally this dish is prepared by frying the eggplants first (very quickly in lots of oil).