Blueberry Surprise French Toast Casserole
- 12 slices white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Blueberry-flavored, maple, or maple flavored syrup
Adapted from bhg.com
1. Place half of the bread cubes over the bottom of a well-buttered 13x9x2 -inch baking dish (3-quart rectangular). Sprinkle cream cheese and blueberries over bread cubes. Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater; beat in milk and ½ cup syrup. Carefully pour egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
3. Bake covered in a 375? oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 25 minutes more or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, and topping is puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with blueberry-flavored or maple syrup.
*To dry bread slices: Arrange bread in a single layer on a wire rack, cover loosely and let stand overnight. Or cut bread into ½-inch cubes, spread in a large baking pan. Bake uncovered , in a 300? oven for 10 to 15 minutes or till dry, stirring twice,; cool.