Gluten Free Bread Pudding
- For Sauce:
- 1/3 cup raisins OR currants
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (or brandy or rum)
- 2 peeled, cored apples sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (1/2 t. for apples - 1 1/2 t. for pudding)
- 6 thick slices, cubed (1/2"} gluten-free bread (use your favorite gluten-free bread - see note)
- 2 cups heavy cream OR canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 lightly beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream OR coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon OR brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Adapted from glutenfreecooking.about.com
Preheat oven to 325° F / 163° C
Generously butter a 9x9-inch baking dish
Combine raisins and 2 tablespoons bourbon or brandy in a small bowl. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve liquor.
Sauté sliced apples with maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon over medium low heat until translucent, but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Set aside. Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.
Heat cream OR coconut milk and sugar over medium high heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Pour hot milk and sugar mixture over bread cubes. Cool.
Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, vanilla and liquor reserved from soaking raisins. Pour over bread cube mixture and fold in. Add melted butter and prepared apples and fold in. Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes.
Pour bread pudding mixture into buttered baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown and set.
To Make Bourbon Sauce:
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Add sugar, cream OR coconut milk and salt. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Stir in bourbon and vanilla.
Tip: Gluten-Free Bread Pudding and Bourbon Sauce can be made up to two days before serving. Reheat until warm and serve.