Chewy Ginger Sandwich Cookies with Lemon Filling
- For the cookies:
- 1cup1 cup (256 grams) roasted and unsalted almond butter
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons (44 grams) unsulphured molasses (I used blackstrap)
- 22 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3cup2/3 cup (94 grams) coconut sugar
- 1/4cup1/4 cup (30 grams) coconut flour
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pincha pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 4ounces4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1cup1 cup powdered sugar (84 grams)
Adapted from texanerin.com
1. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or a piece of parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer, beat together the almond butter, molasses, eggs, and coconut sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the remaining cookie ingredients.
4. Slowly add this dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix on low just until combined.
5. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to roll into balls, about 30 – 45 minutes, or wrap the dough in some plastic wrap, press flat, and freeze for about 5 – 10 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or a piece of parchment paper.
7. Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and roll into small balls (mine were ¾").
8. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. The cookies will have started to crack a little and will look puffy.
9. Remove the cookies from the oven. The cookies will continue to crackle just a little more and then "deflate."
10. Let the cookies cool for about 3 minutes on the cookie sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool.
11. Meanwhile, prepare the lemon cream cheese filling.
12. Mix all the filling ingredients together, except for the powdered sugar, with an electric hand mixer until well combined.
13. Gradually mix in the powdered sugar.
14. Place the filling in the refrigerator until the cookies have completely cooled.
15. To assemble the cookie sandwiches, place 1 teaspoon of lemon cream filling in the middle of each cookie and place another cookie on top. There should be just enough filling for a thin layer of icing.
16. Place the cookie sandwiches in an airtight container and refrigerate for up for 1 week. Do not stack the cookies as they might stick together! If you need to stack them, separate each layer with a piece of plastic wrap, wax paper, etc.