Negroni Chicken with Braised Blood Oranges
- 4 quarts cold water
- 3/4 cups coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 chicken breast halves with skin and bones (2 1/2 to 3 lbs total)
- 6 whole cloves
- 8 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1/4 cup sweet (red) vermouth
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated blood orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter - divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (about 2 large)
- 6 juniper berries, groun in spice mill
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- Braised Blood Oranges
- Fresh marjoram sprigs (for garnish)
Stir 4 quarts water, 3/4 cup coarse salt and 1/4 cup sugar in large pot until salt and sugar dissolve. Add chicken in single layer. Chill 1 1/2 hours. Remove from brine; pat dry.
Toast cloves in skillet over medium heat until beginning to smoke, about 4 minutes. Cool; grind finely. Transfer cloves to 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. Whisk in next 6 ingredients, then 3 tablespoons oil. Add chicken. Cover and chill overnight, turning chicken occasionally.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sprinkle checken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook until skin is deep brown, 3-4 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken, skin side up. Place sillet in oven. Roast chicken until cooked through, 20 -25 minutes.
Braised Blood Oranges
2 Blookd Oranges
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup low salt butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut oranges into 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick rounds. Arrange orange slices (in layers, if necessary in 11x7x2 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary; dot with butter. Pour in enough broth to cover oranges. Cover dish with foil.
Place dish in oven; braise oranges until tender and rind looks translucent, about 1 hour. Cool.
DO AHEAD- can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm and remove from sauce before using.