Great over hot dogs, brats or sausages
- 1 lb 6 oz raw sauerkraut (do not rinse)
- 3 sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup apple juice
- 1/2 Cup water or white wine
- 4 Tablespoons fruit vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Crisco (or lard)
- 10 juniper berries 10 white peppercorns (black ok)
- 3 Cloves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
1. Tie the garlic, peppercorns, juniper berries and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth
2. In a large ovenproof casserole, melt the Crisco over moderate heat, add the onion and let cook without browning for several minutes
3. Spread half the sauerkraut over the bottom of the casserole
4. Add all the ingredients as well as the bacon.
5. Cover with the remaining sauerkraut, pour the apple juice,water and vinegar over top. Add more water if necessary so that the liquid reached almost to the top of the ingredients without covering them.
6. Bring to a boil on the stovetop
7. Place in a moderate oven for 70 – 80 minutes.
8. Six minutes before the end of cooking time, cook the hot dogs, brats or sausage.
This can also be put into bags or containers and frozen for later use.