Chef John's Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Place butter and sausage in a large stockpot over medium heat; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes until sausage begins to brown.
Stir in paprika, cumin and cayenne; cook for 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, onions, celery, green pepper, salt, and bay leaf.
Add brown rice and stir to combine. Stir in chicken stock and turn heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is just tender.
Stir in shrimp, replace lid and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with green onion.
Note: Cooking time given is for short-grain brown rice. Other types of rice may cook faster or slower.